Extracts from the book of the Dead :
Second part : Regeneration :
The second part of the Book of the Dead is devoted to the resurrection of the dead; this is accomplished at dawn, as the sun is returning from the nightly journey.
CHAPTER 17 - 17 "I am Atoum-Re, the great God. I created myself.Yesterday belongs to me and I do know all about tomorrow. I AM the Phoenix of Heliopolis, who knows all that exists The umbilical cord of N. is severed, my sins have disappeared; all that was impure in me is destroyed forever. I am on the path towards the Isle of the Just.
CHAPTER 18 Words of Osiris N.
- These are the words in praise of Osiris, Lord of Rosetau and the great Ennead who are in the Empire of the Dead. " I salute you, chief of the West, Wennefer, (epithet of Osiris) who resides at Abydos!
- King of the Empire of the Dead and Regent of the Land of Silence, I come to you with my heart full of righteousness, for I have been found faultless, I have not knowingly lied or sinned. Give me the food which comes from the altars of the Master of Truth...
A long prayer of incantations follows, calling for the intercession of the God Thot, ending thus:
- "If one sings these incantations in a state of purity, one can "come forth into the day" after crossing the river of the dead, "and take any form one wishes." But whoever (among the living) reads it for himself will stay on earth, unharmed, escaping the flames, and no ill will befall him.
Note : This text was written at least 2,000 years before the Evangelists wrote about the Transfiguration and Resurrection of Christ!
CHAPTER 21 - How to ask for one's voice from the soul of Osiris N. :
- He says: I salute you, "O, garment of Light", which presides over the great castle of Heliopolis, amid the dark shadows. I have come to you, oh Radiant One, to ask for my voice that I may speak in the hour of danger.
CHAPTER 29 - Asking for the preservation of the hearts of those who are just :
(Osiris N. ) in the empire of the Dead says :
- My heart is mine, it will not leave me; I am Horus who inhabits the heart, the seat of all being in the body.
- I have not committed unpardonable sins against the gods; I am just and my influence has never WANED.
- I am the rising Phoenix, the soul of Re who leads the blessed towards the Douat, who enables Osiris to return to earth to accomplish that which his Ka desires.
- I AM Re, whose favors are everlasting; I am the Creator who is in the sacred Tamaris tree.
- My face is that of Re
- My eyes are those of Hathor
- My lips belong to Anubis,
- My teeth are from Isis, the divine,
- My neck is of Neith, the "Lady of Sais"
- My legs are of Ptah,
- My nails are from living falcons.
- Every part of me represents a god, and THOT gives his protection to me. I am " "Re" each day, and no one can take me ..
- I come to life each day and my name is unknown.
- I am yesterday: the one who has seen millions of years is my name...
- I am the Supreme Being who from age to age has everything necessary to go on.
- I am the one who was in the sacred eye, nothing malevolent can befall me, nothing impure or evil can manifest itself before me.
- I am the one who opens the gates of heaven and sits upon the throne.
- I give birth to each new day.
- Everyman, it is I who protect you, you who are millions...
- My form is hidden, as I am unknowable...
- I light up every wall in every house, and everyone profits from my generosity.
- To all who pass, I say " I am the Lotus flower blooming in the Noun."
One the left: a picture of the temple of Kom Ombo rebuilt by the Romans in the third century. In this picture, showing a devotee offering gifts to the king and queen, we can already see the fading of the hieroglyphic writing.
On the right: the steps of the Edfu temple (the seat of Horus), where we see the souls seeming to come out of the walls to fly up the staircase up into the sky...
CHAPTER 55 - How to draw breath in the Empire of the Dead. Words said by the soul of N:
- "O Atoum, give me the sweet breeze from your nostrils.
- "I am Chou, who gave birth to the wind before the Light in the sky. I go to the ends of the earth, where the bird Nebeh flies.
|Return to homepage|
o - o - o - o - o - o